March 10th, 2019, is “Safe Haven Sunday” in the Diocese of LaCrosse. This event is dedicated to raising awareness about the dangers of pornography, and offering help for those who are ensnared in its grasp. In honor of this important event, the articles for this month will be dedicated to educating you about pornography.
“You have heard that the law of Moses says, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” Matthew 5:27-28
The negative effects of pornography are well documented by social science
research, but are not widely known:
- Adolescents who view pornography are more likely to engage in casual sexual relationships.
- Frequent exposure to televised sexual content is related to a greater likelihood of teenage pregnancy.
- Pornographic addiction among adults leads to financial losses in 58 percent of cases and job loss in about a third of cases.
- Internet pornography leads, for many, to internet sex-chat rooms, which in turn leads to sexual liaison, resulting in divorce for many.
- Recent reports on the backgrounds of hyper-sexualized girls and on the pornographic content of phone texting among teenagers make clear that the digital revolution is channeling the sexuality of younger and younger children in ways that undermine their future family life.
What steps have you taken to protect yourself and your children from pornography on computers, tablets, and phones? How do you talk about theses dangers with your children? Do you know where those with this addiction can get help locally? Download this fact sheet and share it with anyone who might benefit!