“Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.” Philippians 2:14-15
Growing up in a married family confers many benefits on daughters, and positively influences their choices on sexual matters. Social science research shows that:
- Girls from intact married families are the least likely to become sexually active in their teens.
- Daughters raised in a family where the father is present are much less likely to become sexually active or pregnant out of wedlock.
- Women are more likely to want children if they are raised in an intact family than if they are raised in a divorced or remarried family.
- Girls raised in intact married families are less likely to have multiple sexual partners.
- Teenage girls who have grown up in an intact married family are less likely to cohabit before marriage.
Though our culture has many negative messages that influence daughters and their choices, their parents’ voices are the most influential ones they hear. How can you use your voice to strengthen your daughter’s chastity?
The chart below shows that daughters who are raised with both parents are more likely to remain chaste. Two biological parents in the home can model a healthy sexual norm for developing girls, while also providing a stable, loving environment as an alternative to sexual engagement. Parents should understand the weight of their presence in affecting who their daughters become.
For links to the research behind these statements, please visit www.marri.us/one-pagers/ *It bears emphasizing that these patterns hold for the groups involved, not for all the individuals who make up each group. There is naturally a wide variation among individuals.